Top 7 Tips for Getting the Most Out of Bolster
Congrats! You’ve made a great step in taking care of yourself by joining the Bolster community! We work hard to make CFB a place people want to be while we help you reach your goals. Here are a few tips to maximize the investment you’re making in your health:
- Come to the box regularly. This should go without saying, but it’s easy to fall back into old routines or make new routines. CrossFit can be intimidating (even to some vets) and it can get all too easy to make excuses about being tired or sore. The more you show, the easier it will get!
- Don’t cherry pick workouts. If you didn’t know, Brad posts all the workouts the day before on Beyond the Whiteboard. There are a couple of different theories about checking the workouts beforehand—some people do it to get pumped up for the workout, some of us don’t even look because we don’t want to know until we get there. The danger of checking before is that maybe you’ll be tempted to avoid a workout that looks particularly hard or involves running, wall balls, and/or burpees. Don’t do that! You’ll never get better at the movements you don’t like, and as you progress in CrossFit, we guarantee those movements will change.
- Treat yourself like an athlete—eat well, sleep lots, and drink enough water. CrossFit is a unique workout regimen. When you commit to it, you become an athlete, whether you have ever considered yourself one before or not. If you need help in this department, just ask!
- Ask for help. Everyone in the CFB community wants you to be successful and enjoy your time at the box. If you don’t know where to find something or what a movement is, just ask. Ask Brad, ask one of our know-it-all vets, or even ask Google. One of our big rules in the CrossFit community is to leave your ego at the door, and that goes for asking questions when you need help.
- Introduce yourself. Hey, we’re nice people! And we want to know who you are. If someone doesn’t ask, take the initiative and say hello.
- Use the tools CFB provides. We are lucky to have a box that provides us with some great tools for training. Beyond the Whiteboard is an awesome way to track your progress and even set goals. Check it out when you get a chance! We also have Mindbody, which is helpful for Brad to plan programming and classes, but also adds the classes you sign up for right to your calendar and helps you plan your workouts for the week.
- HAVE FUN. This is the most important one! CrossFit is hard work. Trying something new can be scary. Changing old habits takes time. But at Bolster, we try really hard to have fun while we’re doing all of those things. So smile! Laugh when you forget the difference between a power clean and a power snatch. Request music you like. We all want to have fun when we’re there, so go ahead and join in!
If you follow these tips, you'll get the best experience possible from CrossFit Bolster. We're happy to have you!