Tips for Open Success
Since many of our Bolster members are joining the Open for the first time, we asked Coach Brad for some tips on having a good time. Here's what he had to say:
Succeeding in the Open for a newbie is all about your mindset. Set a goal, go hard, and have fun!
- Go into the Open with a realistic goal. Develop a game plan for each workout that suits your strengths. It is important to understand that its you vs. yourself, there is no reason to stress about things that our out of your control.
- Go hard. The Open workouts are a chance to test and push your limits both mentally and physically. Don't leave anything on the table, if you do, you will regret it.
- Have Fun! It's just CrossFit with a bunch of your friends cheering you on. If things don't go as planned thats ok, there is always next year!
Our new coaches also have a few tips for us. Here's what Kelli says:
- Stick with it and don't give up. Even if you have never been able to do a certain movement (double unders....) keep trying till time is up!! Last year I watched someone last minute get talked into the Open and faced the double under which she had never been able to do before. She struggled with them but stuck with it and not only did her first double under but managed to finish two rounds of the WOD!
- Have fun! More than anything we Crossfit because it is something we enjoy to do. Even when the pressure of a competition is on your shoulders having fun is so important!!!
And Dallas weighed in, too:
While signing up for your first CrossFit Open brings lots of excitement, it can also be a very scary thing. One great tip for your first time is to completely allow yourself to live in the moment of each and every experience that it brings. Great things happen during the Open.... People achieve things that they never thought they could, like a first muscle up or a PR on a lift. If that happens for you, then enjoy every moment as you hard work is expressed through your great performance.
The other side of the coin is that the Open is also great at exposing your greatest weaknesses and making you face them head on. At some point there will be a movement or skill that you are not so great at, or maybe you can't do it at all....YET!! If that happens to you, then again I say enjoy every moment of it as you have now identified where your obstacles to greatness lie! Match whatever the CrossFit Open brings with your very best effort and stand at the end as a winner! Let's Go Bolster!
Thanks to all the coaches for their great advice!
We'll see you tomorrow night (Thursday, February 26th) at the box for the first Open workout announcement. Come watch Rich Froning and Mat Fraser throw down on 15.1!