Let's be honest, no matter how awesome Bolster is, you still feel like punking out on a workout (or two or three). That's okay! You are doing great to show up when you do, and we know a lot of our members are going from a not-so-regular or rigorous workout schedule to CrossFit. That's quite the change, both for your mind and your body! So we thought we'd offer some tips on getting out of a rut and getting motivated to get back in there!
- Take a break. Wait—what? Yep! It's true. Maybe you're mentally and physcially fatigued and you need 3-4 days or more off to rest and relax. Who knows? By day 3, you could be missing us so much you cut your break short and come in for "just one more WOD."
- Celebrate your accomplishments. Look back at the last few months and give yourself a big pat on the back on some milestones you've hit. And they may not have anything to do with your waist size, unassisted pull-ups, or double unders. Maybe it's gutting through a tough workout, passing on dessert (just that once), or being able to call yourself an athlete. Because no matter what, we know you've had some victories since you started CrossFit!
- Buy yourself some new gym clothes/accesories. Yeah, this seems shallow, but hey. New shoes or a new jump rope might be just the thing you need to get you out of that rut.
- Spend some time thinking about why you started going to CrossFit. What made you walk in that door in the first place? Did you even know who Rich Froning was or have a clue about a Fran time? Probably not. So get back to your initial motivation to get you back on track.
- Set some goals. Maybe you've just been floating along, going through the motions, but not really committing to accomplishing something specific. We happen to know that at one of our box member's house, there's a place on the fridge with CrossFit goals written out. Set some goals that will take a month or two, then some for 6-12 months out, and then maybe some BHAGs - big hairy audacious goals (muscle ups anyone?). Once you start ticking those shorter-term ones off, you'll feel AWESOME and ready to take on the other ones and hopefully jumpstart your motivation to get back to the box.
That's it! Just keep at it. And remember, if you have any specific issues—personally or with the box—please let Brad or Kate know. Bolster is a chosen family, and we want you all to be happy and healthy!