Want Gainz? Get ZZZZZs!
We've all heard that abs are made in the kitchen. Or that your diet makes you look good in clothes, but exercise makes you look good naked. But what fails to make the memes is how much proper rest and sleep impact your fitness goals.
Most adults need to 7 - 9 hours of sleep a night. When you don't get enough sleep, it's hard on your body and mind in a lot of ways:
- Motivation! Remember our last post? When you are tired, it's hard to get motivated to get your workouts in. It's hard to want to prep meals. These things can be hard enough without the added challenge of being tired.
- Mood swings and lack of focus. Hey, grouchy. Lack of sleep makes it hard to stay on and even keel, making you not so fun to be around. Work and relationships can suffer, since you can't focus.
- Injuries. You have to get enough sleep to repair the damage you're doing to your body with all those thrusters and burpees. If you aren't resting and sleeping, you body will continue to breakdown but not rebuild, leaving you prone to injury.
- Lack of PRs. The same reasons that you're risking injury are the same reasons you're struggling to hit milestones in the gym. You need rest and sleep for your body to build!
- Sick. Yep, feeling junky and tired make it hard for your body to fight illness. So, if you're in the gym working hard, not sleeping, and get exposed to nefarious germs, you're more likely to be down for the count.
So, do yourself a favor and prioritize sleep. We know, it can be tough to turn off those Netflix marathons or those CrossFit Games replays, but that extra 30 minutes of sleep can add up over the week. Try it out!