Stress. We've all got it, some of us more than others. And sometimes it depends on the day, week, or year how much we're dealing with. Many folks don't realize how stressed they really are, because as humans we've developed sneaky ways to hide it from ourselves. However, if you're experiencing any of these symptoms, you might be suffering from stress:
- Appetite changes
- Frequent headaches
- Clenching, grinding, or gritting teeth
- Anxiety and/or depression
- Overreaction to petty annoyances
- Lack of energy
- Frequent illness
Many of us are guilty of ignoring or not taking our stress seriously, but it can have a profound impact on our overall wellness. Not only will you have difficulty making gains at the gym (priorities!), but you'll be taking away from your quality of life while shortening it. Chronic stress can lead to long-term illness and other problems.
So, take control of your stress before it controls you! Commit to being mindful of your stress levels and proactively managing stressors in your life. Here are a few ideas for dealing with the stress of daily life (job, family, school, finances, etc.):
- Regular exercise (duh!)
- Sleep enough and on a schedule
- Eat nourishing food and drink enough water
- Practice meditation or mindfulness
- Schedule a regular massage
- Find something relaxing - journalling, drawing, even coloring!
- Surround yourself with supportive people
We know so many of you rely on Bolster to give you a little sanity each week. There's a lot to be said about our supportive community combined with the endorphin-releasing WODs and personal accomplishments and PRs. It's a great method to deal with your stress in a healthy, productive way. We love to be your stress relief!